By Christopher Saint, Judy Saint

• Publisher:   McGraw-Hill Professional
  • Number Of Pages:   350
  • Publication Date:   2001-11-05
  • ISBN-10 / ASIN:   0071386254
  • ISBN-13 / EAN:   9780071386258
  • Binding:   Hardcover

Product Description:
MASTER IC LAYOUT WITHOUT AN ENGINEERING BACKGROUND! Tto new chip applications such as cell phones, personal digital assistants, and consumer electronics, electronic semiconductor usage has exploded, creating an unprecedented demand for technicians skilled in CMOS and bipolar design and layout. In IC LAYOUT BASICS, you get the same top-notch material utilized in IBM’s successful training courses. This essential primerbrings you up to speed on:
* Integrated circuit processes
* Layout techniques
* Fundamental device concepts
* Wafer processes Writing for technicians without an engineering degree , the authors present concepts from the ground up, building on the simple until the complex becomes crystal clear. Examples, self-tests, and sidebars reinforce the material and make it all quick and painless. For maximum retention, each chapter includes preview points, "motivation" boxes, and executive summaries.

Summary: The simplest possible introduction to this subject
Rating: 5
This is the kind of book people need! "IC Layout Basics" really is intended for people with no background in electronics or engineering whatsoever. The first chapter is actually a quick run-through of basic electronics concepts like Ohm's Law and just what exactly a "semiconductor" is. Combined with its companion book "IC Mask Design" by the same authors, this is the absolute most gentle introduction to semiconductor design that could possibly be conceived.

Make no mistake: To actually get a job in the industry, you'll need more than this. As other reviewers have pointed out, the information here is so extremely elementary that professional layout engineers will need to follow-up with further study. But the end of this book helpfully supplies a bibliography of books to follow up with, and even includes a (woefully short and geographically limited) list of college programs on the subject. It's only the basics, but there is no other major book that I know of which explains the basics of semiconductor design so clearly and concisely. As such, it gets thumbs up from me, and a big thanks to the authors for this much-needed contribution to the field!

Summary: The best self-study guide
Rating: 4
'IC Layout Basics' is a great book for beginners. There is no doubt about this. I give it 4 star but not 5, why? Because I think there are rooms for improvement (hoping I can see these improvements in the next edition). Below are my comments (good and bad):
(1) You don't need to know much about electronics before you can start reading this book, fine! On the other hand, you will know quite something after reading this book, perfect!
(2) This book uses plan English plus lots and lots of graphics. This is great for people like me (I live in Hong Kong, a Chinese).
(3) This book is well edited. You can hardly find errors in this book even in this first edition. OK, you can find some (e.g. the units on p.172, the graph on p.209).
(4) This book is a bit longwinded in some area. I can condense the book by 25% without missing any information. For example, there is no need to use 29 pages (from p.72 to p.100) just to show the steps in a typical CMOS process (two diagrams can be squished into one page).
(5) There are topics that can be explained with more insight. For example, why we build transistors on P- EPI but not directly from P Substrate? Epitaxy layer has been described/used through out the book, just missing a bit of explanation.

As a whole, this book is a great self-study guide and is the gateway to another master piece: 'IC Mask Design' from the same authors.

Summary: Title says it all
Rating: 5
Great coverage of basic layout concepts. This book explains things in clear, easy to digest terms. The authors also put a sprinkling of humour here and there. Very well written.

Summary: Not a bad book
Rating: 4
Yes, one of the reviewer is right in saying that everything offered in this book can be learned in a meeting with an experienced IC designer. However, I think this book certainly has great value in terms of teaching an inexperienced person the basics of layout. This book may not be the great in terms of teaching one the concepts and nuances of Analog layout and I would refer an aspiring analog layout person to "Art of analog layout" by Hastings or "CMOS layout" by Jacob Baker. These two books are really good for that need. This book in question however does fill the basic needs that it intends to. It gives a start to VLSI layout in general. I think that this book is a very good shelf companion for a person who is just into designing layouts.

Summary: Let's be honest. This book is not enough.
Rating: 1
I don't know if my experience is not enough to comment about this. However, I am writing this because this book rating is "too" much higher than it is deserved.
This book is really "bad" for anyone looking for the good analog circuit layout design. This is just fair for some one looking for digital circuit layout. The entire topics covered in this book could be taught in a couple of hours meeting with the experieced layout engineer. The contents of this book are not only shallow but also miss the most of the important aspects in the layout. I borrowed this book from the my school library and looked over the most of topics. I never open this book again since the first day I read the book. I am a Ph'D student in the mixed circuit research area. I mostly refer 'CMOS Circuit Design, Layout, and Simulation' by Jacob Baker and 'Art of Analog Layout' by Hasting whenever I need help in the layout design.

论坛已有的是扫描版36MB,这里的是文字版4.3MB,Enjoy!

IC Layout Basics - A Practical Guide.rar

3.78 MB, 下载次数: 1274 , 下载积分: 资产 -2 信元, 下载支出 2 信元

发表于 2008-6-5 14:59:19 | 显示全部楼层
很好
不过似乎格式上有些问题
有些1页的内容变成了2页
发表于 2008-6-5 15:00:23 | 显示全部楼层
再问一下
gardner的那本phase lock techniques第三版
你现在有清晰正确版了吗?
原来的OCR版公式图表错误太多
发表于 2008-6-5 15:05:09 | 显示全部楼层
你老大的东西一定要顶!呵呵,好书啊!!!
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-5 15:18:33 | 显示全部楼层

原帖由 nesta 于 2008-6-5 15:00 发表
再问一下
gardner的那本phase lock techniques第三版
你现在有清晰正确版了吗?
原来的OCR版公式图表错误太多

没有哇,wiley的官网就没有电子版,网上流传的都是扫描的,而且最初制作这个扫描版的人也不知道去哪儿了,
想让他发个非OCR版都不行。。。

这个IC LAYOUT BASICS是网络打印版,因为时间紧我没有调整font size,所以打印出来的字比较大,
不过反正都是一个压缩包,大点也没关系了是不?
发表于 2008-6-5 15:36:36 | 显示全部楼层
Thank you
发表于 2008-6-5 18:53:54 | 显示全部楼层
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
发表于 2008-6-7 01:03:18 | 显示全部楼层
thank you
发表于 2008-6-7 03:37:47 | 显示全部楼层
好书,收下了。谢谢楼主。
发表于 2008-6-7 22:42:37 | 显示全部楼层
hao shu a xiexie
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

关闭

站长推荐 上一条 /2 下一条

小黑屋| 关于我们| 联系我们| 在线咨询| 隐私声明| EETOP 创芯网
( 京ICP备:10050787号 京公网安备:11010502037710 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-28 07:30 , Processed in 0.038301 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

eetop公众号 创芯大讲堂 创芯人才网
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表