[复制链接]
发表于 2008-1-22 18:46:28 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多好友,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?注册

x
[local]1[/local][local]1[/local]Govind P. Agrawal著
A JOHN WILEY & SONS出版

Preface
Since the publication of the first edition of this book in 1992, the state of the art of
fiber-optic communication systems has advanced dramatically despite the relatively
short period of only 10 years between the first and third editions. For example, the
highest capacity of commercial fiber-optic links available in 1992 was only 2.5 Gb/s.
A mere 4 years later, the wavelength-division-multiplexed (WDM) systems with the
total capacity of 40 Gb/s became available commercially. By 2001, the capacity of
commercial WDM systems exceeded 1.6 Tb/s, and the prospect of lightwave systems
operating at 3.2 Tb/s or more were in sight. During the last 2 years, the capacity
of transoceanic lightwave systems installed worldwide has exploded. Moreover, several
other undersea networks were in the construction phase in December 2001. A
global network covering 250,000 km with a capacity of 2.56 Tb/s (64 WDM channels
at 10 Gb/s over 4 fiber pairs) is scheduled to be operational in 2002. Several conference
papers presented in 2001 have demonstrated that lightwave systems operating at a bit
rate of more than 10 Tb/s are within reach. Just a few years ago it was unimaginable
that lightwave systems would approach the capacity of even 1 Tb/s by 2001.
The second edition of this book appeared in 1997. It has been well received by
the scientific community involved with lightwave technology. Because of the rapid advances
that have occurred over the last 5 years, the publisher and I deemed it necessary
to bring out the third edition if the book were to continue to provide a comprehensive
and up-to-date account of fiber-optic communication systems. The result is in your
hands. The primary objective of the book remains the same. Specifically, it should be
able to serve both as a textbook and a reference monograph. For this reason, the emphasis
is on the physical understanding, but the engineering aspects are also discussed
throughout the text.
Because of the large amount of material that needed to be added to provide comprehensive
coverage, the book size has increased considerably compared with the first
edition. Although all chapters have been updated, the major changes have occurred in
Chapters 6–9. I have taken this opportunity to rearrange the material such that it is better
suited for a two-semester course on optical communications. Chapters 1–5 provide
the basic foundation while Chapters 6–10 cover the issues related to the design of advanced
lightwave systems. More specifically, after the introduction of the elementary
concepts in Chapter 1, Chapters 2–4 are devoted to the three primary components of a
fiber-optic communications—optical fibers, optical transmitters, and optical receivers.
Chapter 5 then focuses on the system design issues. Chapters 6 and 7 are devoted to
the advanced techniques used for the management of fiber losses and chromatic disxv
xvi PREFACE
persion, respectively. Chapter 8 focuses on the use of wavelength- and time-division
multiplexing techniques for optical networks. Code-division multiplexing is also a part
of this chapter. The use of optical solitons for fiber-optic systems is discussed in Chapter
9. Coherent lightwave systems are now covered in the last chapter. More than 30%
of the material in Chapter 6–9 is new because of the rapid development of the WDM
technology over the last 5 years. The contents of the book reflect the state of the art of
lightwave transmission systems in 2001.
The primary role of this book is as a graduate-level textbook in the field of optical
communications. An attempt is made to include as much recent material as possible
so that students are exposed to the recent advances in this exciting field. The book can
also serve as a reference text for researchers already engaged in or wishing to enter
the field of optical fiber communications. The reference list at the end of each chapter
is more elaborate than what is common for a typical textbook. The listing of recent
research papers should be useful for researchers using this book as a reference. At
the same time, students can benefit from it if they are assigned problems requiring
reading of the original research papers. A set of problems is included at the end of
each chapter to help both the teacher and the student. Although written primarily for
graduate students, the book can also be used for an undergraduate course at the senior
level with an appropriate selection of topics. Parts of the book can be used for several
other related courses. For example, Chapter 2 can be used for a course on optical
waveguides, and Chapter 3 can be useful for a course on optoelectronics.
Many universities in the United States and elsewhere offer a course on optical communications
as a part of their curriculum in electrical engineering, physics, or optics. I
have taught such a course since 1989 to the graduate students of the Institute of Optics,
and this book indeed grew out of my lecture notes. I am aware that it is used as a textbook
by many instructors worldwide—a fact that gives me immense satisfaction. I am
acutely aware of a problem that is a side effect of an enlarged revised edition. How can
a teacher fit all this material in a one-semester course on optical communications? I
have to struggle with the same question. In fact, it is impossible to cover the entire book
in one semester. The best solution is to offer a two-semester course covering Chapters
1 through 5 during the first semester, leaving the remainder for the second semester.
However, not many universities may have the luxury of offering a two-semester course
on optical communications. The book can be used for a one-semester course provided
that the instructor makes a selection of topics. For example, Chapter 3 can be skipped
if the students have taken a laser course previously. If only parts of Chapters 6 through
10 are covered to provide students a glimpse of the recent advances, the material can
fit in a single one-semester course offered either at the senior level for undergraduates
or to graduate students.
This edition of the book features a compact disk (CD) on the back cover provided
by the Optiwave Corporation. The CD contains a state-of-the art software package
suitable for designing modern lightwave systems. It also contains additional problems
for each chapter that can be solved by using the software package. Appendix E provides
more details about the software and the problems. It is my hope that the CD will help
to train the students and will prepare them better for an industrial job.
A large number of persons have contributed to this book either directly or indirectly.
It is impossible to mention all of them by name. I thank my graduate students and the
PREFACE xvii
students who took my course on optical communication systems and helped improve
my class notes through their questions and comments. Thanks are due to many instructors
who not only have adopted this book as a textbook for their courses but have also
pointed out the misprints in previous editions, and thus have helped me in improving
the book. I am grateful to my colleagues at the Institute of Optics for numerous discussions
and for providing a cordial and productive atmosphere. I appreciated the help
of Karen Rolfe, who typed the first edition of this book and made numerous revisions
with a smile. Last, but not least, I thank my wife, Anne, and my daughters, Sipra,
Caroline, and Claire, for understanding why I needed to spend many weekends on the
book instead of spending time with them.
Govind P. Agrawal
Rochester, NY
December 2001

Fiber-Optic Communications Systems.rar

4.29 MB, 下载次数: 720 , 下载积分: 资产 -3 信元, 下载支出 3 信元

发表于 2008-1-22 23:55:18 | 显示全部楼层
发表于 2008-1-24 13:54:27 | 显示全部楼层
Tkanks for shariing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 楼主| 发表于 2008-1-25 23:37:53 | 显示全部楼层
自顶!
发表于 2008-1-29 10:16:45 | 显示全部楼层
这本书确实不错,我们读研的时候老师拿这本书当专业英语阅读的课本。不过好厚啊,看的头大。
头像被屏蔽
发表于 2008-2-14 12:49:08 | 显示全部楼层
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
发表于 2008-2-17 23:49:45 | 显示全部楼层
Tkanks for shariing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
头像被屏蔽
发表于 2008-2-20 23:15:10 | 显示全部楼层
头像被屏蔽
发表于 2008-2-20 23:25:18 | 显示全部楼层
头像被屏蔽
发表于 2008-2-20 23:33:23 | 显示全部楼层
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

关闭

站长推荐 上一条 /2 下一条

小黑屋| 关于我们| 联系我们| 在线咨询| 隐私声明| EETOP 创芯网
( 京ICP备:10050787号 京公网安备:11010502037710 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 16:28 , Processed in 0.044548 second(s), 8 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

eetop公众号 创芯大讲堂 创芯人才网
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表