搜帖子
查看: 4591|回复: 11

那位有MIMO外场调试测试经验??MIMO实际表现如何?

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-11-15 09:31:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多好友,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?注册

x
MIMO成为未来无线系统的关键技术之一,已经没有什么悬念。基站用多天线不稀奇,但是,到目前为止,我们身边还没有太多看得到摸得着的技术(比如终端)。这样,一些高级的MIMO,比如SM,还没有开始体现其巨大优势。

那位有MIMO外场调试测试经验?MIMO实际表现如何?

或者谁收集过一些相关的外场测试报告?

我们来讨论一下MIMIO应用时会遇到些啥问题。
发表于 2009-11-15 10:03:34 | 显示全部楼层
MIMO主要表现为物理层技术,但是实际应用效果最终与高层软件的调度控制息息相关

可以说是高软的性能决定了MIMO的成败
发表于 2009-11-23 22:59:51 | 显示全部楼层
Thank to you all
发表于 2009-12-26 00:26:12 | 显示全部楼层
应该说终端还是比较难的,终端的多天线技术会产生很大的空间结构问题,天线还可以勉强的做到两天线,采用垂直和水平方式进行接收,但其干扰会很麻烦,一时极化耦合问题,主要是天线间的干扰,还有电路干扰问题。再有就是造价,显然在ADC以前,都需要多链路,这样移动台的价格和极速上升,如果没有成熟的芯片的话(包括价格),很难进行。并且高速率的通路本身价格就高。这是应用问题。干扰的话应该是设计技术问题。要做成多天线,现在看来还是有难度的。
发表于 2010-1-4 16:39:36 | 显示全部楼层
记得看到有个什么公司可以用单天线实现接收两路信号了
搜搜去。。。
发表于 2010-1-4 16:44:57 | 显示全部楼层
iMAT: MIMO without multiple antennas

* Date: February 25th, 2008
    * Author: Michael Kassner
    * Category: Wireless
    * Tags: Situation, MIMO, Antenna, iMAT, Antenna System, RF, EM, EM Isolation, SkyCross, iMAT Antenna System

25 comment(s)

* Email
    * Save
          o Digg
          o Yahoo! Buzz
          o Twitter
          o Facebook
          o Google
          o del.icio.us
          o StumbleUpon
          o Reddit
          o Newsvine
          o Technorati
          o LinkedIn
    * Print
    * Recommend

Antenna systems are not normally a preeminent topic when it comes to discussions about wireless equipment. That attitude is completely understandable; antennas are just not that interesting to most people. To some, including myself, RF propagation and antenna technology are very worthy discussion topics. My fascination started 40 years ago when I earned my first amateur radio operator’s license. I still remember the excitement of talking to as many fellow amateurs as I could on an old home built CW transmitter. Not having a great deal of money for new equipment, I focused on improving my antenna farm. It did not take long for me to notice the difference a good antenna made. Poorly designed or poorly built antennas—I learned the hard way—can literally destroy transmitter RF circuits. Whereas a well built antenna afforded me the opportunity to communicate with other amateurs anywhere in the world.

Antenna systems finally get some respect

Wireless equipment manufacturers will always have the challenge of trying to equal or surpass the capabilities of wired voice or data networks. Helping to close that gap are recent innovations using multiple—same frequency—antenna systems. Researchers and equipment manufacturers now understand that using MIMO antenna technology means greater receiver gain, increased data rates, larger network throughput, and improved reliability through antenna diversity. It all sounds good, but as that saying goes “nothing’s ever free” applies here as certain challenges surface when using MIMO antenna systems.

EM coupling and isolation

One of the more important challenges facing RF engineers developing MIMO antenna systems is how to negate the effects of a phenomenon called electromagnetic (EM) coupling. EM coupling according to Wikipedia occurs when a change in current flow through one device induces current flow in the other device. The two devices may be physically contained in a single unit, as in the primary and secondary sides of a transformer, or may be separated as in the antennas on a transmitter and a receiver. One other related term that appears in conversations about EM coupling is EM isolation which is the opposite of coupling. EM isolation is generally achieved in two ways, either by increasing physical distance between RF radiators or by creating a barrier with RF shielding between the two radiators.

It is important to understand that intentional EM coupling is a good thing when it is occurring between multiple antenna/radio systems that are supposed to communicate. On the flip side, unintentional EM coupling between two or more antenna/radio systems not meant to be communicating is detrimental to all of the involved systems. The receiving radio has to deal with additional in-band interference and the transmitting radio loses efficiency as some of its valuable RF output is not reaching the appropriate antenna/radio combination. Figure 1 represents the two extremes of coupling and isolation.
figure-1.jpg

Figure 1. Antennas on the left have coupled near-radiation fields and highly correlated inputs, coupling energy from one into the other. The ideal situation is shown for the antennas at right where little radiation is coupled between antennas, and the correlation coefficient is zero. Courtesy of SkyCross.

Knowing this, one has to wonder if it is such a good idea to have all those antennas so close together on a single radio. Wouldn’t most of the RF energy from one antenna just radiate to the antenna only a few centimeters away? This is certainly one area of concern and compromise, as it forces MIMO equipment developers to delicately balance improved data rates and signal reception against the loss of RF signal performance due to unintentional EM coupling.

Metamaterials to the rescue

A recent post of mine “Metamaterial: the unnatural composite is transforming wireless technology” describes how antennas made from metamaterial are revising RF propagation theory. Metamaterial composite antennas are physically smaller yet electrically more efficient. This creates a win-win situation as it allows more antennas to be located in the same physical space, yet they are less likely to be affected by unintentional EM coupling. Metamaterial antennas can also be constructed to focus the RF wave front away from nearby antennas which also reduces the effect of unintentional EM coupling.

Finally getting to iMAT

Over the past few years I have been following a very interesting company called SkyCross. What initially aroused my curiosity was SkyCross being picked by Samsung to produce antenna systems for the popular Blackjack and Blackjack II cell phones. Being selected is fairly significant especially since SkyCross has only been around since 2000. The company’s forte is described by Chris Morton, CEO:

“SkyCross enables manufacturers to make any wireless device a reality. Whether you’re designing a low-end, cost-conservative product or a high-end device packed with features, SkyCross has the right solution for you.”

The newest project at SkyCross is iMAT (Isolated Mode Antenna Technology) which is the topic of this post and what can be called a radical departure from typical multiple antenna methodology. An iMAT antenna system is a single antenna with multiple feed points that has performance characteristics similar to a MIMO antenna system. The significance of this can be seen immediately. Having only one antenna mitigates the power-robbing effects of unintentional EM coupling. It also gives equipment and PC board designers more freedom as there is no need to reserve space for several antennas and their supporting PCB components.

Researchers at SkyCross use a rather complicated metric called the correlation coefficient to determine the ability of a multiple antenna system to produce independently received signals. Complete signal overlap which is bad, results in a channel correlation coefficient of one. The graphs in Figure 2 show that the conventional two antenna system’s coefficient is more than double the coefficient of the iMAT antenna system.

figure-2.jpg

Figure 2. Illustration of the advantages of the iMAT single antenna over multiple individual antennas showing enhanced efficiency and reduced inter-element coupling. Courtesy of SkyCross.

How is this significant?

Using a single antenna to achieve multiple antenna results has to excite equipment developers. It gives them the chance to achieve MIMO performance levels in devices that have space or size limitations. As I understand there are no real frequency restrictions, so iMAT will support all legacy RF protocols and be available for use with HSxPA, LTE, WiMAX, and 802.11x

I had the good fortune to ask Mr. Paul Tornatta, managing director for SkyCross USA and VP of Operations a few questions about iMAT. I was really curious to learn if my Blackjack phones used iMAT technology. Mr. Tornatta replied:

“Regarding the Backjack and Blackjack II; these designs do not use iMAT, as the design work was completed some time ago. We are currently working on Smartphone implementations, but will not make a specific announcement for several months.”

I then made mention that iMAT must only work if the multiple feeds were on the same frequency, but was pleasantly surprised when Mr. Tornatta corrected my error:

“The comment about iMAT only working for multiple multi-feeds at the same frequency is not quite right. Certainly a key feature is the ability to run multiple feed points from the same multi-band feed structure, at the same frequency, for diversity and MIMO applications, but another key feature is the ability to create isolation nulls to other bands as well.

An example is GPS. In many of our diversity designs, we include GPS on the Diversity antenna port. In this case we are able to create an isolation-null to prevent the radiation from the primary antenna port from effecting the GPS receive function.

We are also doing work using iMAT to isolate transmit and receive functions normally associated with a single antenna (for GSM). By creating isolation between transmit and receive frequencies, we can relieve the filter specification for down-stream components with a potential cost saving. So in this case, the two ports of the antenna structure are at different frequencies.”

To their good fortune, SkyCross readily admits to discovering the underlying technology behind iMAT while trying to solve a completely different issue. As I understand it, an engineer was trying to place several antennas on a miniature circuit board and accidentally created a path between two adjacent antennas. When running some initial tests the engineer determined that the two antennas had a high degree of isolation. After some development SkyCross realized that they now knew how to develop a multiple feed single antenna with efficient RF characteristics.

Final thoughts

It appears that iMAT technology has a very bright future. The next step would appear to be determining how to simultaneously transmit on different frequency bands or even different protocols.
发表于 2010-1-4 16:48:35 | 显示全部楼层
公司的名字叫skymap
有人了解吗
发表于 2010-1-7 19:07:16 | 显示全部楼层
可以说是高软的性能决定了MIMO的成败
发表于 2010-1-7 20:54:48 | 显示全部楼层
LSTI有一些MIMO外场测试的结果 比较可信
发表于 2010-1-9 20:25:07 | 显示全部楼层
我做过8X8MIMO的实际测试, 觉得效果不错啊, 实时信道反馈, 可以解决原先 LOS情况下MIMO性能不好的问题. 大家可以多交流啊, 我不觉得是高软决定了其性能, 物理层算法设计才是根本所在.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

关闭

站长推荐 上一条 /2 下一条

小黑屋| 关于我们| 联系我们| 在线咨询| 隐私声明| EETOP 创芯网
( 京ICP备:10050787号 京公网安备:11010502037710 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-1 15:55 , Processed in 0.048626 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

eetop公众号 创芯大讲堂 创芯人才网
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表